Let My Terminal Go

mystilleef at gmail.com mystilleef at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 01:58:08 EDT 2005

Hello,

A user of my application points me to a behavior in gVim,
the text editor, that I would like to implement in my
application.

When gVim is launched from a shell terminal, it completely
frees the terminal. You can continue to use the terminal for
whatever purpose you wish, including closing and exiting it,
without any effect on the running gVim instance.

How do I implement this in my application written in python?
I would like to believe it does not involve me forking my
application in a new process. Maybe there is signal I can
send to the operating system to achieve this, right?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks