"no variable or argument declarations are necessary."

Paul Rubin http
Tue Oct 4 14:43:29 EDT 2005

Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:
> Have those of you who think that the lack of required declarations in
> Python is a huge weakness given any thought to the impact that adding
> them would have on the rest of the language? I can't imagine how any
> language with required declarations could even remotely resemble
> Python.

What's the big deal?  Perl has an option for flagging undeclared
variables with warnings ("perl -w") or errors ("use strict") and Perl
docs I've seen advise using at least "perl -w" routinely.  Those
didn't have much impact.  Python already has a "global" declaration;
how does it de-Pythonize the language if there's also a "local"
declaration and an option to flag any variable that's not declared as
one or the other?

There's been a proposal from none other than GvR to add optional
static declarations to Python: