Microsoft Hatred FAQ

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sat Oct 15 14:06:01 EDT 2005

"Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Jeroen Wenting wrote:
> <cut>
>>
>> Without Microsoft 90% of us would never have seen a computer more
>> powerful than a ZX-81 and 90% of the rest of us would never have used
>> only dumb mainframe terminals.
> <cut>
> At the time you "PC" guys where hacking around monochrome green and a
> bit lighter green screens I was doing multi-media editing on my Amiga
> 600. So perhaps we should state that we would have been a lot further
> if not an incredible amount of cool technologies where bought by MS
> and then simply put in the freezer to protect their future market
> share.

You mean like the lamp that keeps burning forever, like Philips has?

> Although Commodore where never serious competitors,

Because there programming skills were as worse as MS? I mean, their
BASIC had only 2 instuctions: PEEK and POKE?

> they had
> some "intern" difficulties, too bad but life goes on.

Yup, same for Acorn. Their RISC work station was the fastest computer
available for home users at that moment.

> To go on, stable version of truly free unix likes where released
> around 1994 that was in the same time MS was working on their super
> stable released windows 95 and a slightly better NT 3.5 and let me not
> forget OS/2 warp 3.0 .
>
> I'm not a MS basher,

Yet you call NT slightly better compared to Windows 95. So you have no
clue what you're talking about.

> hey I make money of them administrating them,
> however to state that if we didn't had MS we would been in the IT
> stone ages is blatantly wrong,

Now there is truth.

> I think we would have been a lot
> further

No, since companies are just companies, not little gods like some want
them to be.

> then where we are now. Perhaps we even had a other mainstream
> architecture like sparcs and powerpc's.

But "crippled" like Intel.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/