Help with chaos math extensions.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 6 09:19:29 EDT 2005

Brandon K wrote:
> In case you missed it, I said I have windows XP.  Windows XP
> pre-compiled python binaries are built on VS .NET 2003.  In order to
> build extensions, you need the compiler the interpreter was built on, or
> at least that is what is reported to me by calling setup.py.  If I was
> using linux, which I currently am not, it'd be a different story.
> Additionally, GCC isn't available for windows XP, only MinGW, the port,
> and I don't know that much about it to use it running on a Windows
> platform.  Furthermore, I was asking for help on an extension, not an
> economical question about my programming environment.
>
> Thanks
>

>>On Oct 4, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Brandon Keown wrote:
>>
>>>   I have programmed a fractal generator (Julia Set/Mandelbrot Set)
>>>in python in the past, and have had good success, but it would run so
>>>slowly because of the overhead involved with the calculation.  I
>>>recently purchased VS .NET 2003 (Win XP, precomp binary of python
>>>2.4.2rc1) to make my own extensions.
>>
>>Why did you need to purchase anything when gcc is available for free?

Since gcc isn't an option, the logical way to proceed would be to do
what others have done and install the Microsoft Toolkit compiler,
available from their web site for the outrageous price of nothing. I can
vouch that it really does compile extensions for Python 2.4 on Windows,
having done that myself.

See

   http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119