Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Sun Oct 23 14:50:03 EDT 2005

"Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
news:863bmsakgp.fsf at bhuda.mired.org...

>>> MS has a long history of dancing with the DOJ, and has been repeatedly
>>> warned about the legality - or lack thereof - of their behavior. No
>>> rational person who knew of that history could expect the law to be
>>> applied to MS in any way other than the way it was.

>>     Since when does the DOJ get to make the law? (George Bush's claims to
>> the contrary not withstanding.) The issue is whether the *LAW* put
>> Microsoft
>> on notice. A just law must itself put people on notice as to precisely
>> what
>> conduct constitutes a violation of that law.

> In that case, we hav an *awful* lot of unjust laws, because laws
> seldom disallow "precise" behavior.

    That is true. A law *must* put a reasonable person on notice of
precisely what conduct it prohibits and what it does not. At the "fringes",
the tie goes to the runner, that is, the conduct is not illegal. The law is
not supposed to care about things that are trivial. (Except in genuine
private entity versus private entity non-criminal cases, where the law
really is about the slightest tip of the scales and there is no presumption
for either party.)

>Which is the only rational way for
> a system of laws to work. Requiring that the law predict *everything*
> that someone might do to harm others and explicitly listing all those
> cases is silly.

    That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking that the law *clearly* put
people on notice of what conduct is prohibited. That's very easy in
legitimate laws, because we all know what it means to punch someone or to
rob them. It becomes very difficult in illegitimate laws, because there is
no reasonable test to decide whether something is a 'monopoly' or not. This
burden makes it harder for the government to pass unjust laws, and that is a
good thing.

> Instead, you outline a class of actions and tag them
> all as illegal. That's why we have laws against assault and battery
> and unsafe driving. And laws against exercising monopoly power in an
> unfair manner.

    Interesting how you, again, equate a gun and an argument. It is very
important to you to justify responding to arguments with guns. However, I
reject that premise at its roots, not just in your application of it.

    DS