New project coming up...stay with Python, or go with a dot net language??? Your thoughts please!

D H no at spam
Tue Oct 4 10:13:41 EDT 2005

Istvan Albert wrote:
> Disclaimer: this is not a flame against Boo.
>
> It just boggles my mind that a language that describes itself as
> "python inspired syntax" keeps being touted as:
>

>>Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
>>Boo (which could be considered almost an static version of Python for .NET)
>

> Boo is *nothing* like a static version of Python. Stop perpetuating
> this nonsense.

There is no static version of python, only a proposal[1] which was
quickly stomped on and revised to be about slower runtime type-checking:

def gcd(a: int, b: int) -> int:
     while a:
         a, b = b%a, a
     return b

The boo equivalent is: (http://boo.codehaus.org/)

def gcd(a as int, b as int) as int:
     while a:
         a, b = b%a, a
     return b

Looks "nearly identical" to me.

(Istvan has been a long spewer of anti-boo FUD on this list)

[1] http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=85551