How to organize Python files in a (relatively) big project

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Wed Oct 19 19:16:04 EDT 2005

Jarek Zgoda wrote:

> How to install this structure eg. on Linux? What layout do you
> recommend? It's tempting to use /opt hierarchy for installation target
> (as it gives relatively much freedom within application directory),
> but
> many administrators are reluctant to use this hierarchy and prefer
> more standarized targets, such as /usr or /usr/local.

I am not very experienced with Linux, but if you don't use something like
PyInstaller, you could still install the main tree somewhere like
/usr/local/myapp/ and then generate a simple script for /usr/local/bin which
adds /usr/local/myapp to sys.path[0], and "import main" to boot the
application.

I'm not sure I have answered your question though :)
--
Giovanni Bajo