Can Python replace TCL/Expect

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Thu Oct 6 11:57:33 EDT 2005

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:08:09 GMT, Cameron Laird <claird at lairds.us> wrote:
> In article <mailman.1583.1128579857.509.python-list at python.org>,
> Robert Kern  <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>>xinchenvn at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm learning Python. I don't know whether Python can do something like
>>> Expect can do. If yes, please show me how to do it.
> 2.  While Pexpect indeed "can do something like Expect",
>     it does NOT have all the facilities and polish of the
>     latter.
> 3.  But very, VERY few of Expect's users are aware of more
>     than a handful of Expect's functions, let alone use them,
>     so it's fair to say that Pexpect does everything Expect
>     does, within the realm of ordinary use.

It depends. I do not feel /that/ advanced, but I've been bitten by pexpect's
limitations several times in several places.

... which puts me in a weird position ;-) I /loathe/ the Tcl language, but I
have to admit that its expect functionality is far superior to Python's.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!