pickle

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 25 07:03:52 EDT 2005

Shi Mu wrote:
> what does the following code mean?
>
> y = pickle.load(file("cnumber.pickle", "r"))

Take it by parts:

     file("cnumber.pickle", "r")

returns a file object as a result of opening the "cnumber.pickle" file,
which is presumably a pickle someone wrote earlier.

So

     pickle.load(file("cnumber.pickle", "r"))

returns the first object stored in that pickle file.

> also, I can not understand "f" in pickle.dump(x, f)

The beginning of the docs on pickle usage says:

"""dump( obj, file[, protocol[, bin]])

Write a pickled representation of obj to the open file object file."""

Isn't this reasopnably self-explanatory?

regards
  Steve

--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119