Jargons of Info Tech industry

Ross Bamford rosco at roscopeco.remove.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 20:18:03 EDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:27:26 +0100, Roedy Green
<my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:04:49 -0000, gordonb.pru8x at burditt.org (Gordon
> Burditt) wrote or quoted :
>
>> I think one necessary function of email and USENET is that it should
>> allow you to SAFELY communicate with strangers or, worse, people
>> you know but do not trust at all,
>
> Yes, but with spam ANY communication with an unwanted stranger is a
> nuisance.

Roedy, I would just _love_ to see the response from the industry when you
tell them they should dump their whole mail infrastructure, and switch
over to a whole new system (new protocols, new security holes, new
problems start to finish). I gather that's the gist of the suggestion, a
new protocol with built in public key (a fine, well known, accepted term,
IMHO it doesn't need changing) cryptography and signature support?

IMAP is in many ways better than POP3, but you would be surprised at the
weight of an accepted standard I think.

Ross Bamford - rosco at roscopeco.remove.co.uk