Function decorator that caches function results

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen lasse at vkarlsen.no
Sat Oct 8 14:51:08 EDT 2005

George Sakkis wrote:
<snip>
> Cool, you re-invented the memoization pattern:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoization
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/search?query=memoize&x=0&y=0&section=PYTHONCKBK&type=Subsection
>
> Yes, it's kinda discouraging that most interesting ideas have already been conceived, implemented
> and used by others...<wink>
<snip>

I know, I've been scouring over the ASPN recipes and digging through
code like there's no tomorrow.

But, I don't view it as pointless even though there are existing
implementations and solutions out there.

First of all, I don't like to stuff a lot of what is obviously library
type of code into a project, unless I can reference a library that got
that function or class or whatnot. Creates a rather big maintenance
nightmare :)

So, I would have to stuff that into a library, which is what I did with
my "own" function (thank you for helping btw). The recipe on ASPN is
probably better than what I got, but... I understand how my solution
came about and what makes it tick.

Secondly, I've been "programming" Python for, what, about 11 days now or
so, so I want to re-implement as much as possibly right now, even to the
point where I create a worse solution than an existing one, as long as
it works for me, just to be able to learn the nuances of Python, because
Python is ... different than what I'm used to.

For instance, in C# and .NET you got attributes, but they don't actually
do anything on their own, in other words you can't tag a method and have
the operation of that method deviate from a similar method without the
attribute, unless you pick one of the attributes the compiler knows
about, so it's just meta-data that sits silent until some other method
goes around to look for it.

In Python I've now learned that a function is just an object like
everything else and I can wrap a new object around it to modify its
behaviour, and I can use the decorator pattern to do it.

I'm probably going to be back here in a few days or even hours with
another "task" where you can probably cough up dozens of existing source
code solutions that I could use.

For instance, there's this thing I've heard of called the "wheel".....

:)

--
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
http://usinglvkblog.blogspot.com/