sqlstring -- a library to build a SELECT statement

Jason Stitt jason at pengale.com
Thu Oct 20 10:02:34 EDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 2:19 AM, Steve Holden wrote:

> Jason Stitt wrote:

>> Using // for 'in' looks really weird, too. It's too bad you can't
>> overload Python's 'in' operator. (Can you? It seems to be hard-coded
>> to iterate through an iterable and look for the value, rather than
>> calling a private method like some other builtins do.)

> ...   def __contains__(self, thing):
> ...     print "Do I have a", thing, "?"
> ...     return True

I stand corrected. <excuse>Python.org was intermittently down
yesterday</excuse> so I was trying to play around with the
interactive interpreter and missed it.

For future reference:
http://www.python.org/doc/ref/specialnames.html

However 'in' seems to coerce the return value of __contains__ to True
or False, even if you return an object reference.

- Jason