Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Oct 27 07:07:50 EDT 2005

Roedy Green wrote:

> The tactic Univac/Burroughs/Prime used, at least for big sales, was
> for example invite the potential customer to view some installation to
> talk to a satisfied client about how they were using their gear. There
> might be a convenient client in say ... Las Vegas.

    Yep, that's a classic. Notice that no force, fraud, or threats are
involved.

> The game then became to get the client to get drunk and laid and do
> crazy things to help very uptight people cut loose.
>
> On one of these trips, we ran through fields chasing fireflies.

    That is a bit questionable, I admit. It is questionable because the
intent is pretty obviously to get the individuals more interested in being
nice to you than looking out for the interests of their employers when they
make their purchasing decisions.

    On the other hand, it's a far cry from force, fraud, blacklisting,
threats of false accusations, and so on.

    DS