Python reliability

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 16:43:21 EDT 2005

"Ville Voipio" <vvoipio at kosh.hut.fi> wrote in message
news:slrndkka7r.62en.vvoipio at kosh.hut.fi...
> In article <7xr7au1hr5.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:
<snip>

> I would need to make some high-reliability software
> running on Linux in an embedded system. Performance
> (or lack of it) is not an issue, reliability is.

> The software should be running continously for
> practically forever (at least a year without a reboot).
> is the Python interpreter (on Linux) stable and
> leak-free enough to achieve this?

> Adding the Python interpreter adds one layer on uncertainty.
> On the other hand, I am after the simplicity of programming
> offered by Python.
<snip>

> I would need to make some high-reliability software
> running on Linux in an embedded system. Performance
> (or lack of it) is not an issue, reliability is.
<snip>
> The software should be running continously for
> practically forever (at least a year without a reboot).
> is the Python interpreter (on Linux) stable and
> leak-free enough to achieve this?
<snip>

All in all, it would seem that the reliability of the Python run time is the
least of your worries.  The best multi-tasking operating systems do a good
job of segragating different processes BUT what multitasking operating
system meets the standard you request in that last paragraph?  Assuming that
the Python interpreter itself is robust enough to meet that standard, what
about that other 99% of everything else that is competing with your Python
script for cpu, memory, and other critical resources? Under ordinary Linux,
your Python script will be interrupted frequently and regularly by processes
entirely outside of Python's control.

You may not want a multitasking OS at all but rather a single tasking OS
where nothing  happens that isn't 100% under your program control. Or if you
do need a multitasking system, you probably want something designed for the
type of rugged use you are demanding.  I would google "embedded systems".
If you want to use Python/Linux, I might suggest you search "Embedded
Linux".

And I wouldn't be surprised if some dedicated microcontrollers aren't
showing up with Python capability.  In any case, it would seem you need more
control than a Python interpreter would receive when running under Linux.

Good Luck.
Thomas Bartkus