Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Oct 26 22:46:27 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

> "David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com> writes:

>>     If you want to sell meals with Whoppers in them, you have to get
>> permission to do so from Burger King corporate. And they will not
>> let you also sell Big Macs in the same store, even if McDonald's had
>> no objection.

> Why do you keep comparing Microsoft with Burger King?  They are not
> the same.  Burger King is operating in a competitive environment.
> Microsoft is a convicted illegal monopolist.  Monopolists are not
> allowed to do the same things that competitors are allowed to do.
> So, your observations about Burger King are irrelevant to Microsoft.

    Because the error I'm correcting is the belief that Microsoft's conduct
was extremely unusual (unlike anything any reputable company had ever done,
essentially). I understand that people think it was wrong because it was
specifically Microsoft that did it and the specific circumstances they were
in with respect to their market. I've addressed that in other parts of this
thread.

    DS