Help creating extension for C function

Java and Swing codecraig at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:42:03 EDT 2005

Fredrik,
  I now have this.

myapp.c
--------
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include "Python.h"

int doStuff(const char *input, const char *d) { ... }

static PyObject *wrap_doStuff(PyObject *self, PyObject *args) {
	// get the arguments from Python
	int result;
	char *input = 0;
	char *d = 0;
	int ok = PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "ss", &input, &d);
	if (!ok) return 0;

	// make the function call
	result = doStfuff(input, d);

	// return the result
	return PyBuildValue("i", result);
}

static PyMethodDef functions[] =
{
	{"PyDoStuff", wrap_doStuff, METH_VARARGS, "some documentation"},
	{NULL, NULL}
};

extern PyMODINIT_FUNC initDLLTester(void)
{
    Py_InitModule4(
        "DLLTester", functions, "my doStfuff function", NULL,
PYTHON_API_VERSION
        );

}

...when I try to compile in Visual C++ 6, I get

Linking...
   Creating library Release/DLLTester.lib and object
Release/DLLTester.exp
test.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _PyBuildValue
Release/DLLTester.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Any ideas what's happening here?

DLLTester.dll - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)