Microsoft Hatred FAQ

John Wingate johnww at worldpath.net
Sun Oct 16 00:10:56 EDT 2005

Peter T. Breuer <ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc John Wingate <johnww at worldpath.net> wrote:
>> Peter T. Breuer <ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
>>>
>>> Uh - when microsoft produced dos 1.0, or whatever it was, I was sitting
>>> at my Sun 360 workstation (with 4M of RAM, later upgraded to 8M),
>>> running SunOS 3.8 or thereabouts.
>
>> Peter, if you are serious, and not just pulling our legs, your memory is
>> failing.
>
> Well, it might be a bit off. I am talking about 1986.
>
>> MS-DOS 1.0 came out in August 1981; SunOS 3.0 in February 1986.
>
> Seems about right.
>
> So what version of msdos was around at that time? Obviously I didn't
> use it!

In 1986?  That would be version 3.  I have MS-DOS 3.10 (Victor/Sirius
version corresponding to 3.1 for x86) dated 1986.

>> Sun Microsystems was incorporated (with four employees) in February 1982.
>> There never was a SunOS 3.8.  (SunOS 3.5 was succeeded by 4.0.)  And I'm

> It seems to me that I was using 3.x. Maybe it was 3.1? I seem to
> remember an earlier major ... was there a 2.8 or 2.9?

Dunno.  The first version I used was 3.4, in 1987.

--
John Wingate                        Mathematics is the art which teaches
johnww at worldpath.net                one how not to make calculations.