Asyncore Loop Question

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 31 14:29:09 EST 2005

John W wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a gui application where I am trying to use the asyncore module to
> gather data from other computers. I am able to connect, but I am getting
> constant handle_write_event method calls into my application. It is
> obviously slowing down the gui processing significantly.
>
> My understanding is that the handle_write_event and handle_read_event are
> both edge notifications and I should just get the method call essentially
> just once.
>
> I think the problem is how I have my loop() call configured. All I am trying
> to do with the code below is to open the socket (that works) and then
> receive a single handle_write_event method call. Instead, I am getting
> constantly barraged with them.
>
> I have tried several different types of the loop() call (using poll,
> timeout...) but with no luck. If anyone can explain what I should be doing
> to get a single handle_write_event call until I actually write something to
> the socket (which my code is not presently doing yet), I would appreciate
>
> Below is some code showing what I am doing:

> class Connection(asyncore.dispatcher):
> def __init__ (self, server_name, port_num ):
> self.message_queue = []
>
> asyncore.dispatcher.__init__(self)
> self.create_socket( socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM )
> self.connect(( server_name, port_num ))
>

> def handle_read_event( self ):
> print "handle_read_event received"
>

> def handle_write_event( self ):
> print "Asking for a write"
>
> if len( self.message_queue ) > 0:
> # Pop the first message off the queue
> self.send_next_message()
>

> class TestApp:
> def __init__( self, server_name, port_number ):
>
> self.nomad = Connection( server_name, port_number )
> asyncore.loop()
>

> Output ends up being a constant stream of:
> Asking for a write
> Asking for a write
> Asking for a write
> Asking for a write
> Asking for a write

Normally if a socket channel asks for a write and you have no data you
should respond by removing it from the list of write-enabled channels
for the asyncore loop until you *do* have some data for it. Otherwise
every time the loop scans the channels expecting notification it will
tell you again that you can write to that channel.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119