IDE recommendation please

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 01:01:38 EDT 2005

microsnot <microsnot at MUNGED.hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use Mac
> OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't think
> that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't seem to
> support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would
> also be nice.

On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
probably best.  I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
interactive mode...).  I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating.  Ditto for
ActiveState's Komodo tool...

Alex