Jargons of Info Tech industry

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sat Oct 8 18:45:35 EDT 2005

Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:57:13 -0000, gordonb.u09l7 at burditt.org (Gordon
> Burditt) wrote or quoted :
>

>>HTML enables a heck of a lot of problems:  "web bugs" in email,
>>links to fake sites that appear as real ones in what shows up
>>on the screen, Javascript viruses, denial-of-service attacks
>>(pages that open two windows when you close one), etc.
>
> Just how long do you want to stall evolution?  Do you imagine people
> 200 years from now will be still be using pure ASCII text unable to
> find a solution to JavaScript viruses (turn off JS), pop-up( disable
> popups) etc.?

I've already the impression that a lot of people are moving from email to
IM. I prefer email, but some of my customers prefer IM.

Also, with Unicode support in a plain text environment it's also possible
to make links to fake sites. It's even possible with pure ASCII I mean:

HTTP://WWW.G00GLE.COM/ or even: http://www.goog1e.com/.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/