Scanning a file

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 31 19:18:42 EST 2005

Paul Watson wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>>Since everyone needs this, how about building it in such that files
>>>which are closed by the runtime, and not user code, are reported or
>>>queryable?  Perhaps a command line switch to either invoke or suppress
>>>reporting them on exit.
>>>

>>This is a rather poor substitute from correct program design and
>>implementation. It also begs the question of exactly what constitutes a
>>"file". What about a network socket that the user has run makefile() on?
>>What about a pipe to another process? This suggestion is rather
>>ill-defined.
>>

>>>Is there any facility for another program to peer into the state of a
>>>Python program?  Would this be a security problem?
>>
>>It would indeed be a security problem, and there are enough of those
>>already without adding more.
>>
>>regards
>> Steve
>

> All I am looking for is the runtime to tell me when it is doing things
> that are outside the language specification and that the developer
> should have coded.
>
> How "ill" will things be when large bodies of code cannot run
> successfully on a future version of Python or a non-CPython
> implementation which does not close files.  Might as well put file
> closing on exit into the specification.
>
> The runtime knows it is doing it.  Please allow the runtime to tell me
> what it knows it is doing.  Thanks.

In point oif fact I don't believe the runtime does any such thing
(though I must admit I haven't checked the source, so you may prove me
wrong).

As far as I know, Python simply relies on the opreating system to close
files left open at the end of the program.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119