Comparing lists

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun Oct 16 13:19:11 EDT 2005

Christian Stapfer wrote:
> "Ron Adam" <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote in message
> news:cTp4f.16180$ae.11317 at tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>>Christian Stapfer wrote:
>>

>>>This discussion begins to sound like the recurring
>>>arguments one hears between theoretical and
>>>experimental physicists. Experimentalists tend
>>>to overrate the importance of experimental data
>>>(setting up a useful experiment, how to interpret
>>>the experimental data one then gathers, and whether
>>>one stands any chance of detecting systematic errors
>>>of measurement, all depend on having a good *theory*
>>>in the first place). Theoreticians, on the other hand,
>>>tend to overrate the importance of the coherence of
>>>theories. In truth, *both* are needed: good theories
>>>*and* carefully collected experimental data.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Christian
>>
>>An interesting parallel can be made concerning management of production vs
>>management of creativity.
>>
>>In general, production needs checks and feedback to insure quality, but
>>will often come to a stand still if incomplete resources are available.
>>
>>Where as creativity needs checks to insure production, but in many cases
>>can still be productive even with incomplete or questionable resources.
>>The quality may very quite a bit in both directions, but in creative
>>tasks, that is to be expected.
>>
>>In many ways programmers are a mixture of these two.  I think I and Steven
>>use a style that is closer to the creative approach. I get the feeling
>>your background may be closer to the production style.
>

> This diagnosis reminds me of C.G. Jung, the psychologist,
> who, after having introduced the concepts of extra- and
> introversion, came to the conclusion that Freud was
> an extravert whereas Adler an introvert. The point is
> that he got it exactly wrong...
>
>  As to the value of complexity theory for creativity
> in programming (even though you seem to believe that
> a theoretical bent of mind can only serve to stifle
> creativity), the story of the discovery of an efficient
> string searching algorithm by D.E.Knuth provides an
> interesting case in point. Knuth based himself on
> seemingly quite "uncreatively theoretical work" (from
> *your* point of view) that gave a *better* value for
> the computuational complexity of string searching
> than any of the then known algorithms could provide.
>
> Regards,
> Christian

> (even though you seem to believe that
>> a theoretical bent of mind can only serve to stifle
>> creativity)

No, that is not at all what I believe.  What I believe is, "The
insistence of strict conditions can limit creative outcomes."

The lack of those limits does not prevent one from using any resources
(including theoretical ones) if they are available.

You seem to be rejecting experimental results in your views.  And the
level of insistence you keep in that view, leads me to believe you favor
a more productive environment rather than a more creative one.  Both are
good, and I may entirely wrong about you, as many people are capable of
wearing different hats depending on the situation.

I think the gist of this thread may come down to...

In cases where it is not clear on what direction to go because the
choices are similar enough to make the choosing difficult.  It is almost
always better to just pick one and see what happens than to do nothing.

Cheers,
    Ron