Python reliability

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Mon Oct 10 05:06:57 EDT 2005

Ville Voipio wrote:

> There are a gazillion things which may go wrong. A stray cosmic
> ray may change the state of one bit in the wrong place of memory,
> and that's it, etc. So, the system has to be able to recover from
> pretty much everything. I will in any case build an independent
> process which probes the state of the main process. However,
> I hope it is never really needed.

If you have enough hardware grunt, you could think
about having three independent processes working in
parallel. They vote on their output, and best out of
three gets reported back to the user. In other words,
only if all three results are different does the device
throw its hands up in the air and say "I don't know!"

Of course, unless you are running each of them on an
independent set of hardware and OS, you really aren't
getting that much benefit. And then there is the
question, can you trust the voting mechanism... But if
this is so critical you are worried about cosmic rays,
maybe it is the way to go.

If it is not a secret, what are you monitoring with
this device?

--
Steven.