installer for amd64 build of python?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 13 04:10:28 EDT 2005

magneticlemur at gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know of an available downloader for an amd64 bit
> build of (a modern) python?

There is no official build. The only official Win64 build is
for Itanium, see www.python.org/2.4.2

> I've done my due diligence search of python docs and
> mailing archives, and I'm somewhat mystified by the lack of info
> on this topic.

I'm not at all mystified. The operating system was only released
after the release of Python 2.4, there is no official compiler
available yet to the general public, and I don't have the hardware
to test such a release.

It's fairly likely that Python 2.5 will not see official AMD64
Windows binaries, either.

> I'm embedding python in a native 64 bit
> application so python32 using WOW64
> is not an option for me.

So you should build this on your own.

> Alternatively, does anyone have experience
> of using the visual studio files in the PCBuild
> directory under amd64?

A number of people have tried this. There is one open issue
with signal handling: VS 2005 will apparently drop compatibility
with Standard C in one aspect where previous releases used to
be C compatible (namely, processing of unsupported signal
numbers in signal(3)). Because of that, Python will raise
an assertion failure in the debug build.

Regards,
Martin