Let My Terminal Go

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Thu Oct 13 12:53:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:01:23 GMT, Dan Stromberg <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 03:30:23 -0700, Mystilleef wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you. That's all I needed. For some reason, I had always assumed
>> forking was an expensive process. I guess I was ill-informed.
>
> In a loop, yes, it's expensive.

It depends on what you mean by expensive -- web servers can fork for each
HTTP request they get, in real-world scenarios, and get away with it.

> Done once, it's usually not unacceptable.

In fact, I can't think of a scenario where it /would/ be unacceptable ;-)

But back to the original problem: I can't really see why anybody would need
the "let my terminal go" feature. Is there a reason why 'gvim foo.txt&'
isn't good enough?

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!