Jargons of Info Tech industry

Gordon Burditt gordonb.7vhwj at burditt.org
Sun Oct 9 00:44:25 EDT 2005

>>HTML enables a heck of a lot of problems:  "web bugs" in email,
>>links to fake sites that appear as real ones in what shows up
>>on the screen, Javascript viruses, denial-of-service attacks
>>(pages that open two windows when you close one), etc.
>>
>>>That is like hating all choirs because televangelists use them.
>>
>>I liken it more to hating all viruses because some of them
>>install keyloggers.
>
> I take it then you avoid browsers or use Lynx?

Last time I checked, it was impossible to send me an unsolicited
web site.  It is trivial, however, to send unsolicited email or
post unsolicited articles on USENET.

No, I don't trust Lynx to read email or USENET articles.

>No you FIX the
>problems

And how do you fix the problem of unsolicited USENET articles?
(*ALL* of them are unsolicited to someone).  Or unsolicited
email?

>rather than wear a hair shirt. Same for email. Why should
>rich expressions only be permitted to those with websites.

Web sites can't send you stuff unsolicited, and most of them have
enough stake in their reputation to keep the obnoxious stuff off
of them, since if they have viruses chances are you can't trust
buying anything from them.  "web bugs" aren't a problem with web
sites since the server logs log *all* the hits, and they don't have
to use hidden ones.  And I don't visit web sites without a good
reason to do so (that excludes seeing the URL in some SPAM).  Oh,
yes, and Javascript is turned off.

>Some people use email PRIMARILY for sharing photos.

And what does sharing photos (attachments) have to do with HTML?
USENET text groups are not the appropriate place for photos.

					Gordon L. Burditt