Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Oct 19 07:11:27 EDT 2005

Op 2005-10-19, David Schwartz schreef <davids at webmaster.com>:

> "Antoon Pardon" <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote in message
> news:slrndlc55k.9v5.apardon at rcpc42.vub.ac.be...
>
>> A company figures out something is wrong with one of their new models.
>> They have two options. They can repair the problem or they can leave
>> it as is and brace the laswsuits that will likely follow. An analysis
>> shows that the first option is likely to cost more than the second.
>>
>> As far as I understand you, the company should ship the faulty model.
>
>     It is impossible to respond to this with anything shorter than many
> pages. Google for "prudent predator" if you want all sides to this question.
> The short answer is "maybe".
>
>     To the people who think that you obviously shouldn't, ask them the
> following hypothetical: You have a million pounds of grain. Destroying it
> will probably cost at least ten lives due to starvation. The grain, however,
> is contaminated, and selling it will likely make ten people sick, of which
> three will probably die. Should you destroy the grain?

You could sell it, making it clear to those you sell it to that it is
contaminated grain and explaining what the risk are in consuming this grain.

>     You do have an obligation to the shareholders not to commit fraud in
> their name.

Well then you can't ship the model unless you also make the problem
public. Because shipping the model while you know it has problems
is IMO fraud. Free trade IMO involves correct information about what
is traded.

--
Antoon Pardon