Upgrading 2.4.1 to 2.4.2

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 25 05:57:40 EDT 2005

Vincent Gulinao wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to python and just upgraded python on my system from 2.3 to 2.4.
> My platform is Linux-2.6.9-1.667smp-i686-with-redhat-3-Heidelberg.
>
> Is there any way to inherit (share?) all extensions and additional modules
> the my 2.3 have? (of course, beside re-installing everything)

binary extensions should, in general, be recompiled for each new X.Y release,
so it's usually best to reinstall them.

(under Unix, you can often use older extensions, but you may get warnings, and
some extensions may not work properly.  if you feel adventurous, you can simply
copy the old Lib/site-packages directory to the corresponding location in the new
install, and see what happens.  no guarantees, though...)

</F>