SOAPpy, client, execute method that has 'complex' input parameter (with list)?

Bartas bartek.a at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:15:06 EDT 2005

Hi,
  I'am writting a simple SOAP client in python (2.4) using SOAPpy lib.

  I've met with this problem:

   when I want to send a list of complex type using
   some method from WebService(java,WAS),

  I'v got an exception:
  **********************

  SOAPpy.Types.faultType:

 <Fault Server.generalException: org.xml.sax.SAXException:
   WSWS3136E: Error: No deserializer defined for
  array type {http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema}instance: >

  I understand that this exception comes from WebService
server(WAS,java),
  and I know the reason of this exception,

  A SOAP request genereted by SOAPpy contains invalid information
  about Type of objects (which I've send).

Example:
*******

ServerSide (I know a list o methods and data types, so I don't read
WSDL)
server serve method:

  sendMyElements(MyClass input)

where

'MyClass' is a class which contains two fields:
'sessionId' --------- just STRING
'myElements'--------- an array of 'MyElement'

where

 'MyElement' is class which contains some simple string fields (name,
desecr)

ClientSide
--------------------

  from SOAPpy import WSDL

  url =
'http://localhost:9080/RouterTestWeb/services/Test/wsdl/Test.wsdl'

  serv = WSDL.Proxy(url)

  print serv.methods.keys()

  class MyElement:
    def __init__(self,x,y):
        self.name=x
	self.descr=y

  class MyClass:
    def __init__(self):
        self.sessionId="someSessionId-someSessionId-someSessionId"

        #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK THIS LINE
	self.myElements
         =MyElement("a","a"),MyElement("b","b"),MyElement("c","")]

  print serv.sendMyElements(MyClass())

  Look at the line where I create list of elements MyElement,
  In python type 'list' is able to store object of any type
  (example: [123,"sddsf",MyElement()]),

  Maybe this type ('list') gives me to abstract level, cause whey:

list=['a',213,MyElement('as',''),MyElement('adsf',''),MyElement('asdsad','')]
  print type(list)
  for a in list:
    print a,type(a)

  I get ...
        <type 'list'> -------for list, below for list's elements
        a <type 'str'>
        213 <type 'int'>
        <__main__.MyElement instance at 0x00D4ABC0> <type 'instance'>
        <__main__.MyElement instance at 0x00D56C10> <type 'instance'>
        <__main__.MyElement instance at 0x00D56CD8> <type 'instance'>

  Important, the type(MyElement("sadas","sad")) returns <type
'instance'>
  and this information (I think) is used by SOAPpy lib while creating
  SOAP request,

  a piece of SOAP request:
 	<saveArrayOfData SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:instance[3]"
        xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array" SOAP-ENC:root="0" id="i2">
	  <item href="#i4"/>
	  <item href="#i5"/>
	  <item href="#i6"/>
        </saveArrayOfData>

  I see here, that I'am sending an array of object 'instance'
(SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:instance[3]"),
  but a want to send an array of MyElements.

QUESTIONs
*********
1. What shoud I do send an array of objects only one type (MyElement) ?
   - create more strict data type than 'list'?
   - force object - an instance of MyElement class to return proper
info
     about 'type' (type(MyElement('','')))

2. Maybe, I should use 'wsdl2py' to create valid structures (but
'wsdl2py' sometimes fails
   while parsing my WSDLs - with error RuntimeError: maximum recursion
depth exceeded)

3. Maybe, I should use other library than SOAPpy

Thanks for any help,
Bartek