When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Steve Horsley steve.horsley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:30:39 EDT 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> Then again, there's room for infinite disagreement about these topics. I
> mentioned a while ago that I disliked the English on a bumper sticker I
> liked, which read
>
> "Some village in Texas is missing their idiot".
>
> Several people defended this, saying that a village could use the plural
> possessive "their". I personally found it odd (and essentially
> non-grammatical) not because either the singular or plural forms should
> be mandated but because this one manages to mix them up. So
>
> "Some village in Texas are missing their idiot"
>
> would be better (though it sounds like the kind of thing only the idiot
> alluded to would say), while my preferred choice would be
>
> "Some village in Texas is missing its idiot".

Strangely, the one that scans most naturally to me is the first
one. Maybe its because the sentence starts by talking of a
village in Texas singular point on a map, but the idiot in the
second half is one of many inhabitants who have noticed his
absence. Yes, it is mixing singular and plural from a syntactic
point of view, but not so badly after interepretation into mental
images.

The one that always makes me grit my teeth is "You have got to,
don't you?". Well no, I do NOT got to, actually. Shudder!

Steve, Brung up in norf London.