Google Not Universal Panacea [was: Re: Where to find python c-sources]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Oct 1 05:37:57 EDT 2005

Steve Holden wrote:

> I don't think "The source tarball on python.org" could claim to be
> telling him "exactly where it was" given that my copy of the web site
> has 341 MB of stuff in it.

He doesn't have to search through the whole thing, there's a link on the
front page, so this 341 MB figure is meaningless.

I certainly understand laziness.  I don't approve of it, but I can
understand it.  But I really don't understand _defending_ laziness.

His grasp of the English language was just fine.  He could have gotten
the answer to his question by using Google with less time and effort
than it took him to post to Usenet, wait for a response, and then act on
it.  Even if he were totally lazy and selfish, he could have gotten the
answer more easily by using Google for ten seconds.  Language was
obviously not a barrier here, since the very words he used in asking the
question could have been typed into a search engine to get exactly the
answer he wanted.

There are plenty of questions that are complex enough, or require
knowing the right terminology which might not be obvious to an
interested amateur, such that a search engine won't be the most
practical way to do research.  This was _certainly_ not one of those cases.

   No mistaking / Just reflecting what you radiate
   -- Anggun