[Distutils] py2exe has a new maintainer

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Oct 4 20:16:48 EDT 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 5:01 PM, Jimmy Retzlaff wrote:

> After I feel comfortable with things, I hope to work with other
> projects
> in the Python packaging community (e.g., cx_Freeze,
> PyInstaller/McMillan, py2app, setuptools, etc.) to see if we can't
> find
> synergies that will make all of them better. I recognize that
> different
> packagers are better for different audiences because of licensing,
> platform, Python versions, and module support among other things.
> Working together on the common parts (identifying dependencies,
> customized handling of modules with unique needs, etc.) should make
> all
> of the packagers serve their niches better.

py2app has code for the common parts that are relatively abstracted
out of py2app itself and should be platform agnostic, but I just
don't have the time (or need) to work on py2app right now let alone
make contributions to the general python packaging infrastructure...
However, it's there and the license is compatible with just about
anything, so feel free to make use it of it or ask questions about it.

On the other hand, setuptools/eggs solves a lot of these problems
(given appropriate metadata), so I'd target integration with that
first and then bring in the "legacy" support that py2app does pretty
well.  Requiring appropriate metadata from the packages themselves
has a much brighter future than maintaining an external "quirks"
infrastructure in (each) application packager.

-bob