Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Peter T. Breuer ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es
Thu Oct 20 03:03:31 EDT 2005

In comp.os.linux.misc David Schwartz <davids at webmaster.com> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message news:b15923-vj4.ln1 at news.it.uc3m.es...
>> There would be if an engine manufacturer refused to provide car
>> manufacturers with ANY engines for any model, unless all buyers were
>> charged for THEIR engine in every model, whether their engine was in
>> there or not.
>>
>> You want to cease this line of apologism.

>     I'm sorry, that's just crazy.

No it's not.

> An engine manufacturer could refuse to
> provide car manufacturers with ANY engines at all if they wanted to.

Fine - the car manufacturer would get engines somewhere else. Engine
manufacturers do not appear to hold monopoly positions, so the car
manufacturer is not over a barrel over it.  And gearboxes and clutches
work with any engine, not just that particular manufacturer's engines,
and customers will be used to driving with any engine at all, not just
that one.  Maps and other driver aids also work no matter what engine is
in the car, so there is no industry pressure to use that engine and no
other engine.

> It's
> their engines. They can use any mutually agreeable method to determine the
> number of engines provided and the price.

Not if they abuse a monopoly position in doing so, which is where we
started.

>     This is not apologism. Microsoft has nothing to apologize for here.

Then it is apologism. You implode. Thanks and bye.

Peter