interactive window vs. script: inconsistent behavior

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu Oct 6 16:52:12 EDT 2005

Bell, Kevin wrote:

> The following works in the interactive window of PythonWin, but fails in
> a script.  TypeError: Objects of type 'slice' can not be converted to a
> COM VARIANT
>
> I just need to parse out these dates, but it's making me crazy.
> Shouldn't it work in both the interactive window and a script?

> 5-18-05
> 5-31-05

Not surprisingly, the above three lines work perfectly well in a script:

d = "5-18-05 to 5-31-05"
print d[0:d.find("to")-1]
print d[d.find("to")+3:]

and the output is:
C:\temp>t.py
5-18-05
5-31-05

Perhaps if you were to post an actual script which doesn't work and the
actual error it generates, it might be possible to help you.