p2exe using wine/cxoffice

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Wed Oct 26 06:20:47 EDT 2005

Jon Perez enlightened us with:
> Actually, I think it's many unix/linux users who are ignorant of
> just how nice, stable and productive Windows can be as a desktop
> environment.

I thought the same thing after spending two hours removing some adware
I found.

> Ever since Win2K got rid of the constant blue screens, the reasons
> for switching over to Linux have grown less and less urgent.

One thing in Linux (Gnome actually) that I miss in Windows, is that in
the latter you need to grab the title bar of a window to move it, and
the edge to resize it. In Gnome, I can press the ALT key and drag the
window with the left mouse button and resize it by dragging with the
right mouse button. When moving, it doesn't matter where your cursor
is, as long as it's inside the window. For resizing, it grabs the
closest corner and moves that.

It's like having a scrollwheel on your mouse. If you've never used
such a thing you don't miss it, but if you're used to it, it's a major
annoyance when it's gone.

> The 'Nix desktop environments are growing visibly more mature with
> each passing year, but device support in Linux is still decidedly
> inferior and it still takes far too much time to do some things you
> take for granted under Windoze.

When I replaced my CPU, motherboard and RAM, I had to reinstall
Windows and all applications. Linux just booted. When I upgrade my
video card, Linux just accepts it without even a single message. On
Windows I have to do a reinstall of the video drivers.

I think that everybody is influenced by their own experience. Here are
a few of my reasons to run Linux, besides the ones already mentioned:

    - Window management in Linux is separate from the application.
      That means that a non-responsive (crashed or just very busy)
      application can still be minimized or moved.

    - If I log in and my desktop is shown, I can start working
      immediately. No need to wait for all sorts of things in the
      system tray to start up first.

    - Software installation on Linux usually works via the
      distribution's package manager, so it's one application for
      almost every software install. It also automatically downloads
      and installs all required libraries etc.

    - No need to defragment my harddisk.

    - No viruses/spyware.

There are only two downsides I notice:

    - There are some games I want to play which aren't available on
      Linux. That's the only reason I run Windows, btw.

    - I have to be a little more picky about the hardware I buy.

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa