Python's Performance

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun Oct 9 22:03:13 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> For what it is worth, Python is compiled AND interpreted -- it compiles
> byte-code which is interpreted in a virtual machine. That makes it an
> compiling interpreter, or maybe an interpreting compiler, in my book.

Good points, and in addition to this, the individual byte codes and many
builtin routines in python are compiled 'C' code.  So it's really a
matter of how many level of indirect references are between the the
application code and the internal cpu registers.  Even in assembly
language you can program though indirect data structures to simplify
overall program design.

I really think the performance differences will get narrower as Python
is developed further.  I for one would much rather have a language I can
program new things in a matter of days, rather than one which would
require a few thousand pages of reference material just to figure out
where to start.

If I was forced to go back to MS C++ again, I think I would take up
painting instead of programing as my main hobby.

;-)

Cheers,
    Ron