Will python never intend to support private, protected and public?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Oct 3 05:28:39 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> > That's not what privilege separation means.  It means that the
> > privileged objects stay secure even when the unprivileged part of the
> > program is completely controlled by an attacker.
>
> In which case, what's "private" got to do with this? The examples I've
> seen of it don't give you privilege seperation any more than python does.

If you have a java class instance with a private member that's (say) a
network socket to a special port, access to the port is controlled
entirely by that class.  Calling classes can't reach into the instance
to get at the socket.  Similarly, private variables might hold
database passwords, crypto keys, or whatever.