Jargons of Info Tech industry

Paul Rubin http
Sat Oct 8 21:59:39 EDT 2005

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen <lasse at vkarlsen.no> writes:
> But trying to keep your email world into a pure text-based
> no-formatting-whatsoever world, that's a fantasy bubble that is bound
> to burst, sooner rather than later.

I read mail over an ssh connection to a Unix shell.  I have no easy
way to read html email with a graphics browser.  I occasionally get
html email that I want to read.  I save it in a file and read it with
lynx, which so far works perfectly well.  I find html email to be a
PITA and as someone else said, html in email is an almost sure sign
that it's a message that I want to trash without reading it.  But for
the rare exceptions, lynx as far as I know is 100% w3 standards
compliant, and it's plain text (and it works on terminals with no font
control) .  So there's no incompatibility between html and pure
text-based display.