Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Roedy Green my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid
Sun Oct 16 12:21:26 EDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:30:41 GMT, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote
or quoted :

>>Without Microsoft 90% of us would never have seen a computer more powerful
>>than a ZX-81 and 90% of the rest of us would never have used only dumb
>>mainframe terminals.
>
>Utter hogwash.  Computer hardware would still have followed the path it
>did.  I suspect we'd all be using WordPerfect or AbiWord on some kind of
>Unix clone, and I also suspect application integration wouldn't be as
>commonplace as it now is, but it's silly to credit Microsoft with the
>ubiquity of powerful computers.

Granted MS did figure out all kinds of ways to waste RAM and CPU power
thus forcing people to upgrade to more powerful computers.  What might
have happened with someone else leading the charge it we would be
using less powerful computers but getting more spritely response.

That is like saying you credit SUV owners for any advances in
alternative energy because they helped burn up the oil faster.

MS has held BACK computer evolution by tying their OS so heavily to
the Pentium architecture. The chip architecture has nowhere near
enough registers.  MS refused to believe the Internet was more than a
passing fad. They are still frantically patching security holes in
their OS over a decade  later.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.