UI toolkits for Python

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 16:17:04 EDT 2005

Is there any emerging consensus on the "best" UI for toolkit.  Tk
never quite made it but from what I can see, both qt and wxWin are
both doing fairly well in general. I'm already aware of the licensing
issues surrounding qt (fwiw, I think their license fee for commercial
use is eminently reasonable), so aside from that, I was wondering if
there was any feedback readers could provide on the following:

1) Which plays best with Python? Ideally, it would already have some
higher-level python libraries to hide the grotty stuff that is almost
never needed when actually implementing apps.

2) Reliability of each?

3) Useful external libraries for each?

4) Ease of installation/use on OS X?

Something with a genuinely useful text widget would be nice, but I
know that's too much to expect...ah, TkText widget, where are you
when I need you.

Thanks,
Ken