Python 3! Finally!

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Sat Oct 1 09:25:28 EDT 2005

Stefan Behnel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just firefoxed to Python.org and clicked on the bz2 link at
> http://python.org/2.4.2/ and what did I get?
>
> Python-3.4.2.tar.bz2 !!
>
> Python 3 - what we've all been waiting for, finally, it's there!
>
> Weird, though, the md5sum is the same as for the Python-2.4.2.tar.bz2
> that I downloaded late (late!) yesterday evening and had forgotten in
> my download directory... just found it next to the new one... was
> still there, not overwritten...
>
> Well, maybe the changes needed to merit a V3 weren't that big after
> all...

Did you download the file using Firefox? It seems to have a 'feature' that
when you download a file and there is already a file of the same name it
finds the first number in the filename and increments it.

e.g. I just downloaded TortoiseSVN-1.2.4.4479-svn-1.2.3.msi and then
immediately re-downloaded it and got TortoiseSVN-2.2.4.4479-svn-1.2.3.msi