Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Oct 18 02:24:44 EDT 2005

"Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> writes:
> "Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
> news:86fyqzzskt.fsf at bhuda.mired.org...
>> "Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> writes:
>>> What matters in generating HTML is which browsers you want to support and
>>> what they understand.  Standards and recommendations are both irrelevant.
>> Unless, of course, you want to support any compliant browser.
> Since no browser I know of is perfectly compliant (e.g. bug-free), that's
> not a feasible goal.

I guess you'd say developing any software isn't a feasible goal,
because it'll never be bug-free, will never have bug-free compilers to
compile it, bug-free linkers to link it, bug-free GUI/db/etc libraries
to link with it, bug-free servers to communicate with, and bug-free
operating systems to run it on. Fortunately, most developers aren't
quite that anal, and realize that you can get useful work done in a
less-than-perfect environment.

Since a compliant browser has hooks that let users change their
behavior, well-written HTML will degrade gracefully in the face of a
browser that's had features turned off or had their behavior
changed. Dealing with browser bugs isnt any harder than that.

         <mike