Exception raising, and performance implications.

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Tue Oct 4 19:02:08 EDT 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, it was written:

> "leo" <leomendoza at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I come from a java background, where Exceptions are a big Avoid Me, but
>> are the performance implications the same in Python?
>
> Well, you could measure it experimentally pretty easily, but anyway,
> Python exceptions are much less expensive than Java exceptions.

Really? How come? What is it that stops java using the same technique as
python? There's been quite a lot of work put into making java fast, so
it'd be interesting if we had something they didn't.

tom

--
What we learn about is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our methods of questioning. -- Werner Heisenberg