Where to find python c-sources

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Oct 7 01:15:56 EDT 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 04:37 pm, John J. Lee wrote:
> "Tor Erik Sønvisen" <tores at stud.cs.uit.no> writes:
> > Thanks for the answers... And yes, I have searched google!
>
> How odd -- the most useful link (the viewcvs page for this source
> file) is the very first link for me when I search for socketmodule.c
>
> Does google vary in its results across the globe?

Of course you meant to be snippy and sarcastic, but you've actually
exemplified the reason why so many people don't find such a thing
with Google.  Like all search engines, you have to know the right
keyword -- to a fair degree of precision -- in order to find what
you're looking for.

This is very unlike asking a question of a human being.  *People*
respond much better to general subject headings such as "socket
module" or "python sources" rather than looking for something
ultra-specific like a particular file name.  Researchers take this
training with them when they approach Google and treat it like
a magic librarian -- they give it the same thing they would come
to a human librarian with.

Of course, that shows they are less adept with machines than you
are, just as your reply shows you are less adept with humans.

Both sides could probably learn from the encounter. ;-)

Seriously, though, for anybody new to using search engines, it
is a very useful rule of thumb -- search for a specific word
likely to appear on the page you are looking for, and not
elsewhere.

This also shows where Google fails and newsgroups succeed: when
you know what you want, but don't know what it's called. Often,
all a poster really needs is the right keyword to use.