Searching for txt file and importing to ms access

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Oct 20 13:03:02 EDT 2005

"Mark Line" <mline at abilitec.com> writes:
> I'm managed to get some code to download a message from the email account
> and save it to a text file, does any one have a link to some sample code to
> search though a file until a string of characters is matched?  Or could
> point me to some functions that may help me with this?

datafile = open("c:\\myfile.txt", "r")
data = datafile.read()
datafile.close()
start = data.index(myindicator)

will leave start as the index in data where the the string in
myindicator first appears. If you want the end of myendicator, use
start = data.find(myindicator) + len(myindicator).

Have you considered not saving the message to disk? You can manipulate
it all in memory.

> I've also managed to connect to my access database, and just print out a
> field in a table, but I cant find anywhere on the web that will help me to
> import data?  Any help would be great?!

Can't help with that. The phrase "win32com" comes to mind, but I'm not
a windows person.

  <mike