Microsoft Hatred FAQ

entropy entropy at domain.invalid
Tue Oct 25 14:07:52 EDT 2005

steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au wrote...
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:54:13 +0000, John Wingate wrote:
>
> > Steven D'Aprano <steve at removethiscyber.com.au> wrote:
> >> That would be a good guess, except that Microsoft's predatory and illegal
> >> behaviour began long before OS/2 was even planned. It began in the mid
> >> 1970s, with MS DOS.
> >
> > Nitpick: MS-DOS first appeared in 1981.
>
> [slaps head]
>
> Of course it did.

The first thing I ever bought of Microsoft's, in 1982 or so, was a
CP/M board for my Apple IIe.

CP/M, whose programmers to this day defend sticking with 8-bit CPUs
because 'they can't find a 4-bit chip they like'.  Yeah, there's some
desktop innovation for you.

OS/2 1.0 was released in 1987, but the "selling" of it started in
1985 or so by IBM and Microsoft.  It was a 286 OS.

IBM seems to have had a history of squeezing out competition in the
same way Microsoft has, if I recall correctly.