How to statically link Python with ncurses and readline?

arve.knudsen at gmail.com arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:02:18 EDT 2005

Hi
I'm trying to build a Python package that I can use on different Linux
setups, for this purpose it would be nice to weld external dependencies
(libraries) into Python itself. So far I've succeeded in getting Tcl/Tk
statically linked in, with the help of Modules/Setup.local, but the
same procedure for ncurses and readline results in python being
dynamically linked with these two libraries?? That is, there are no
longer any readline.so or _curses.so in lib-dynload, but instead they
are added to Python's shared library dependencies. Any clue as to
what's going on here would be much appreciated.

Arve