how to get any available port

Mohammed Smadi smadim2 at grads.ece.mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 4 17:19:37 EDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2005-10-04, ncf <nothingcanfulfill at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm...perhaps he is trying to do a transfer thing like many chat
> > programs do. Instead of sending large files across a server, you
> > "Direct Connect" and send the file directly. :shrugs:
>
> So how does that require binding the client end of a TCP
> connection?

what else would you do?  I am using examples from the web and they all
bind to a port at the localhost before connecting to the remote host.

my code is like this

#transmission socket
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,  socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
s.bind(("",hp_port)) # do some error checking

data="HI"
print data
s.connect(('192.168.2.13',port))
s.send(data)
print "\n"

which is working fine for me after putting the
s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1) statement

any suggestions for alternative implementation?

moe smadi