Microsoft Hatred FAQ

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Mon Oct 17 17:30:02 EDT 2005

"David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com> wrote:

> "John Bokma" <john at castleamber.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns96F16200ED24Acastleamber at 130.133.1.4...
>
>> "David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com> wrote:
>
>>>     You don't get it. The point is, you can pick any Linux
>>>     distribution and
>>> still use the same applications. This is exactly what Microsoft
>>> *doesn't* want. They want applications to be locked to Microsoft
>>> OSes. For then to do this, applications have to be as tied to the OS
>>> as possible. The browser as a target platform threatened this
>>> Microsoft vision, so Microsoft reacted by trying to corner the
>>> browser market and balkanize Java.
>
>> And when are we going to see this browser as a target platform?
>
>     It may not happen, or it may. The future of computing is not known
>     at
> this point.

So you think that MS, based on something that might (or might not
happen) somewhere in a future, burned a lot of money?

>> No: the historical fact is that MS whiped Netscape of the planet.
>> That you come up with "They were afraid that everybody would be
>> running NS Office online using Netscape" is just a guess.
>
>     No, it's well-documented fact that Microsoft's entry into the
>     browser
> war was precisely because they feared that browsers would become the
> new operating systems.

Where can I read that well-documented fact?

>> MS just seems to ignore a certain development for some time, then
>> state it's not significant, and next they are an important player.
>> This is not limited to "MS missed the Internet, almost...". They
>> don't miss anything, they just don't jump on every hype.
>
>     What is your explanation for why MS decided it was so important to
> control the browser market? You think MS was too stupid to realize
> that web-based applications threatened to make desktop OSes
> interchangeable?

And you think MS is so stupid to just jump through hoops because
something that still isn't here, might have been there like 8 years ago?

Can you show me what companies MS bought to justify their fear for a
major move to thin client computing?

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/