Controlling who can run an executable

Cigar chrisgarland67 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 06:17:05 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> First thing to know; you can't stop someone who's sufficiently
> determined to run the program.

I have explained to her that I can't prevent someone who REALLY wants
her program from tossing a rock through her front window and making off
with her PC.  They'd get the hardware and the executable along with the
client and transactions data.  She conceeded that that would be out of
my scope of being able to protect her program.

> > Ideas I've had to prevent someone from running the app:
> > - ask for a password every time the program is run. (I wonder how
> > quickly they will complain about this, not very secure once everyone
> > eventually finds out what the password is)
>
> If only authorized people have the password, then this works. The
> problem is that her employees are probably authorized, but she doesn't
> trust them to not take the program to her competition. Which brings
> up an alternative goal:

I may have to just put password protection in and if she hangs herself
by 'sharing' the password with underlings she trusts (at the
present)... again that's outside of my control of protecting her.

> > What I want:
> > - the simplest thing that could possibly work!
>
> Telling her "Don't let your employees near the computer with media, or
> when it's connect to a network."

Currently this app is running on a stand alone PC.  There was a big
concern about hackers getting at her program or data from over the
internet.  I complemented her on this level of security.  No floppy
drive either.